Wednesday, March 28, 2012

the hunger games - reflections

I finished the latest Star Wars novel, Apocolypse, and decided it was time to read something else...I probably shouldn't tell people that I read such pulpy science fiction, but I love the Star Wars universe! Anyway, I decided to see what "The Hunger Games" was all about. The movie is out, its a blockbuster, and I knew nothing about them other than than the main character's name "Catniss."

So I downloaded the trilogy, started reading, and in four days, I was finished...I devoured all three books and let me tell you: "The Hunger Games" is tasty!

It won't be for everyone: the books are violent. The hero isn't perfect. The ending is bittersweet. But herein lies the genius: life can be violent. Heroes are never truly perfect. Most endings are filled with a strange mix of emotions.

I will not review the books in a traditional way so as not to spoil them for anyone else. But I will offer some reflections as to why the books are so poular and why they strike a chord with such a wide audience:
1. The books have a depth that transcends the eighth grade reading level they were written in. As you read them, you will hear echoes of great literature (in particular "The Lottery", "The Most Dangerous Game," and Ralph Ellison's masterpiece "The Invisible Man.") as well as historical parallels (think Roman Empire sending Christians to fight as Gladiators, or the American Colonies fighting for Independence, or even the Cold War Stand-off between the United States and the Soviet Union.) They ask spiritual questions like: Is killing a person different from killing and animal? What effects do long term oppression have upon human beings? Can a system of retributive justice truly bring about peace? Are we aware when we are being fed propoganda?

2. Food plays a huge part of the narrative: both in its absence and in its abundance and richness. I can't help but wonder about how our society is enamoured with cooking shows; calls people "foodies"; and wastes food while people throughout the world are hungry. I love my food as much as the next person, but we do have a strange relatiosnhip with food in our culture.

3. How do we use people? Even in the pursuit of justice and liberty, how often do we lose sight of a person's humanity and use them to further our own hopes and agendas? When people become a product to further a cause or to provide us with entertainment, have we somehow pried their humanity away from them?

I told you they were deep. I told you they aren't for everyone. But if you are looking for a truly provacative read that will challenge you, this is your book. A Great Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment